With fall right around the corner I love adding more fall type produce to my diet. My favorite is sweet potatoes. Typically I tend toward white potatoes but over the last couple of years my husband has swayed me to the other side. Sweet potatoes have many health benefits and a rather tasty,
This root vegetable is part of the morning glory plant family or the Convolvulaceae family. Sweet potatoes have been enjoyed for centuries and originated in South America. Commonly people think of sweet potatoes as filling for pies or even a fry options. Great thing about sweet potatoes are that they are highly nutritious.
This tuberous root veggie is full of vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin E
- these vitamins and minerals are needed for human life. They are responsible for energy production, detoxification, the develop and proper functioning of our senses, antioxidant, neurotransmitter production and blood pressure control.
Sweet potatoes can also be enjoyed and tons of different ways. As fries, mashed, boiled, baked, roasted, etc are some of the ways you can include sweet pottoes and all their health benefits into your life.
Mashed sweet potato recipe:
Ingredients and Supplies:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Almond milk
- Pot large enough to hold sweet potatoes or baking pan
- Food processor or potato masher or fork
- Stove or oven
- Add 2 sweet potatoes to pot and cover with water. Boil for 45 mins to an hour. You can also bake sweet potatoes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 mins to an hour.
- After cooking pierce with a fork. If you can easily pierce potato then they are done.
- Let potatoes cool and peel skin.
- Add flesh of potatoes into the bowl of your food processor or just to a bowl.
- Turn on food processor on medium speed and allow to run for 1 minute or until potatoes are as smooth or lumpy as you like.
- For smoother potatoes add in a tablespoon of cow’s or plant based milk of your choice until the consistency your desire is reached.
- Add spices to your liking, tasting as you go and smoothing the potatoes after each addition.
- Serve hot after desired consistency has been reached.
Enjoy sweet potatoes weekly in your life for all of their health supportive benefits. #eatwellbehealthy #getyousome